In a time of disarray, we enter our 89th year, the 2020-2021 season of the Schenectady Photographic Society. Photography is our comfort zone, and while this season will necessarily be different, it will mirror much of what we have been doing for our society’s existence: a way to share and reflect on our art and enjoy the camaraderie of
We have suspended all dues for the 2020-2021 SPS season. All current SPS members have been automatically renewed. No membership dues will be collected. If you know someone who may be interested in joining our group, please let them know that annual dues for new members will be $20 for this season and $30 for a family membership. Our meetings this year will all be electronic, which means there will be no print competitions; however, we will have two monthly digital competitions. The first Wednesday of each month, starting October 7, will be Assigned Topics, the second Wednesday will be General/Monochrome, and the third Wednesday will be Event Night.
Right now, we anticipate them all being Zoom meetings (see below for some links to video instructions on using Zoom). Our first meeting is on September 16 with the annual Digital Image of the Year competition. Shortly, we will send you information on how to submit your entries.
Here are the rules for the Digital Image of the Year competition:
• Only images that have been entered in a regular monthly competition during the 2019-2020 season may be entered. ( Admin Note: You will receive an email with link to select your submissions soon).
• There is a single category and images entered in General and Assigned Topic during regular monthly competitions are eligible.
• Presentation and entry rules are the same as for the monthly competitions.
• Each maker may submit up to two images.
• Awards given will be The Projected Image of the Year and Honorable Mentions at the judge’s discretion.
We will post the SPS calendar of events in the next Focus. This will detail the competitions and events we currently have scheduled as well as provide more details on using Zoom).
How to get started with Zoom (2:23 minutes)
Join a meeting (1:09 minutes)